Curb Appeal Ideas to Consider Before Selling
Curb Appeal Ideas to Consider Before Selling Your Home
Many home buyers decide whether or not to look inside a home based on exterior appearance alone. That is why it’s important to consider curb appeal ideas before selling your home to attract potential buyers. Improving the exterior of your home will entice them to check out the interior too! What they see when they drive by or arrive for a showing creates an immediate impression and often determines if they want to come inside.
Detached Yourself From Your Home
We are all proud of our homes, but when you get ready to sell it, you must detach yourself from personal feelings and realize it is purely a business transaction. View your own house in the same way that potential home buyers do. Be objective. Ask for and accept criticism from others on potential red flags inside your home or curb appeal ideas so you can make improvements to entice potential buyers.
How to get Curb Appeal Ideas for Your Home
The next time you come home, stop far enough away from your home to get a good view of the homes curb appeal and its surroundings.
- What is your first impression of the house and yard area?
- What are the best exterior features of the house or lot? How can you enhance them?
- What are the worst exterior features of the house or lot? How can you minimize or improve them?
- Park where a potential buyer would and walk towards the house. Look around you as if it were your first visit. Is the path clean and tidy? Is anything out of place or in shabby condition?
- Make a list of your positive and negative feelings about the property’s appearance and curb appeal.
- Take photos of the home’s exterior. If you have a digital camera, view the color versions first, then switch the photos to greyscale, because it’s easier to see problems when color isn’t present to affect our senses.
Evening Curb Appeal Ideas
Do this curb appeal exercise again at dusk, because it’s not unusual for potential buyers to drive by houses in the evening.
Check Your Lighting
- Low voltage lighting elements along with your driveway, sidewalks, and landscaping can enhance your properties nighttime curb appeal.
- Add a decorative street lamp or an attractive light fixture to a front porch.
- Solar versions of outdoor lights are quick and easy to install, but only work when they receive full sun each day.
- Lighting that’s visible through front windows should enhance the home’s appearance.
Don’t Forget To Dress The Backyard
Buyers doing a drive-by will try their best to see the condition of your backyard. If it’s visible from another street or from someone’s driveway, it should be addressed as well.
Curb Appeal Starters
- Kill mold and mildew on the house, sidewalks, roof, or driveway.
- Pressure wash siding and decks.
- Keep sidewalks and driveways clean.
- Stow unnecessary garden implements and tools.
- Clean the windows and gutters.
- Mow the lawn regularly and get rid of weeds.
- Rake and dispose of leaves, even if your lot is wooded.
- Edge sidewalks.
- Trim tree limbs that are near or touching the roof.
- If you can budget it, apply a fresh coat of paint to the house or shutters.
- Can you add a more attractive front door? Replace the doorknob hardware or repaint /stain the door.
Ready to begin the process of selling your home? Call Southern Real Estate today to schedule a personalized consultation to at 251-368-4397!